Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Sweater to hat & fingerless gloves


For a long time, I've been holding onto this grey sweater that didn't really flatter me and was starting to show its age. When my boyfriend lost his grey winter hat, I finally got my motivation for doing something with it. I told him I'd make a new grey hat for him!


I used one of my favorite of his beanies as a template, using the bottom ribbed portion of the sweater as the bottom of the hat.






Next, I cut notches into the top which I would sew together to give it a tapered shape.


After all the edges had been sewn together, the top was a little too pointed and had some holes, so I sewed a curve to finish it off.


Because I wanted the bottom edge to flip up, I reversed the seam there, sewing with the inside faces together instead of the usual outsides.


At this point, I found out I'd actually done the whole thing inside out! So I had to re-do it, but I'll spare you those details. Right before I finished, my boyfriend found his hat, so the new one is mine!





Since there was plenty of sweater left over, I made long arm warmers from the sleeves. I love arm warmers because they enable me to stay warm while still wearing short sleeves, so I end up making them a lot. I'm trying to get a collection to coordinate with all my outfits! Some day, I'll get around to a proper tutorial, but the gist of making arm warmers is usually:

Cut off a sleeve

With a seam ripper, open up a small hole near the wrist for your thumb


Then finish raw edges, taper if necessary to fit your wrist, and wear!

1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

This is a great idea, it is so cold today I want to make some right now.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie